Pastor Harold Stoeffel, Member of English Lutheran Church of La Crosse, and official of the Northwest Synod (ULCA) explore possibilities of a new mission in South La Crosse.
June - Synodical Mission Developer, Rev. Dwight Shelhart arrives to start his 19th mission.
October 12 – First worship service held in the barracks at 2223 Ward Ave.
November 14 – Ground breaking for a house chapel at 3124 South 27th St.
1955 – 1965
March 6 – First service held in house chapel.
March 20 – Organization Day, Good Shepherd Lutheran Church comes formally into being with 239 baptized members.
April 24 – Call extended to Seminarian J.L. Mattes to become first pastor of the congregation.
July 27 – Pastor Mattes is installed by Rev. Wayne Wickoren.
September – Senior Choir was formed.
April – Boy Scout Troop 22 organized.
August – Purchased parsonage at 3240 South 26th St.
March – New site purchased for church on Mormon Coulee Road.
March – Architect Carl Schubert & Assoc. employed for church construction drawings.
June 26 – Building contract awarded to Peter Nelson & Assoc. to construct first unit at 2633 Birch St.
October 16 – Cornerstone laying with Reverends Dar Vriesman and Donald Sondrol.
November – House chapel sold
February 12 – First services in new building with Pastor Stoffel, special guest.
Membership exceeds 500.
April – Property purchased from South Lanes.
November – New parsonage built at 2602 Leonard St.
1966 – 1975
May – Ordination of Terry Morehouse.
Membership exceeds 1000.
Men’s Golf League organized.
September – Internship program begins; Seminarian James Sassman.
LLM Drive begins.
September – Second intern arrives, Seminarian Dennis Peterson.
September – Third intern arrives, Seminarian Michael Obinger.
November – Handbells purchased. Bell Choir formed.
Parking area purchased.
December – Congregational meeting approved LLM Drive and Church Building Proposal.
January – Kratt, Myers Assoc. hired as architects to design Sanctuary.
July – Fourth intern arrives, Seminarian Mark Chelgren.
January 3 – Ground breaking for new Sanctuary; Mikkelson Construction, Westby, contractor.
September – Fifth intern arrives, Luther Mathsen.
December 5 – Dedication of new Sanctuary.
All mortgages refinanced with AAL.
Membership exceeds 1500.
June – Dedication of new Rodgers organ.
January – ELCA merger official of LCA, ALC, and AELC.
May – Women’s Golf League organized.
June – Storage building constructed.
Address changed from 2633 Birch St. to 4141 Mormon Coulee Rd.
December – Pastor Merill O. Herder secured as part-time Visitation Pastor.
June (28th) – Eric Silberschmidt ordained.
February – Pastor Judd W. Larson called as part-time Associate Pastor.
June – Purchase of lot for parking.
Membership exceeds 2000.
Building plans approved and construction begins for expansion of fellowship hall.
Fellowship Hall construction completed and renamed The Mattes Center.
June 29 – Pastor Mattes’ last day upon retirement.
Interim pastor called, Pastor Glenn Leaf.
November (2nd) – Cindy Hutson ordained.
December 31 – Pastor Herder retires as part-time Visitation Pastor.
May - Roger A. Hjelle called as Senior Pastor.
August 15/16 – Pastor Hjelle installed at Good Shepherd.
November 29 – Pastor Ken Melby begins as Visitation Pastor.
Rotational Sunday School program implemented.
April – Capital Fund Campaign to reduce indebtedness begun.
May – Pastor Melby retires as Visitation Pastor at Good Shepherd.
August 5 – Heather E. Lampert issued a call.
September 2 – Pastor Lampert ordained and installed as Associate Pastor of Good Shepherd.
Membership exceeds 2500.
The Capital Campaign reduces the indebtedness by $356,000.
Parking lot paved.
Columbarium and Prayer Garden dedicated.
Parsonage converted to Christian child care center.
August - Pastor Lampert leaves to accept call in Middleton, WI.
November - Mary Bielke begins as Interim Associate Pastor.
April - Meredith McGrath issued a call.
June - Pastor McGrath begins.
August - Pastor McGrath installed as Associate Pastor of Good Shepherd.